• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sueing ex-wife for taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

harakiro

State: Georgia

In 2007 my ex-wife and I seperated and then later divorced in early 2008. During that time, I had to file taxes. We filled jointly married and got back a return. My wife had demanded 1/2 the return in which she was given.

Now the IRS has found errors in our return (missing 1099 for her and myself) which we now owe the goverment 2k. I'm unable to get ahold of my ex. I've tried emails, phone calls, calling her parents, nothing...

I don't feel that I should be held responsible for 100% of the money owed because she recieved 1/2 the return. It seems the IRS will expect all the money from me since my ex can't be bothered to answer mail or phone calls.

Do I have a good case to sue her from legal costs, time off, and 1/2 the money owed to the IRS if I'm forced to go down the path of taking her to small claims? I have several emails where we went back and forth about the refund money and where she agreed to recieve them.

Thanks for your time

Jesse

latigo

Since you ad the ex are jointly and severally liable for the assessment, yes as to the ½ (provided that you pay it in full), but no to the other stuff.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">