• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power of Attorney liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nelzo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I signed a personal care contract for my disabled father in 2005 and 2006. Both contracts are signed as POA. I disputed charges (the contract fees were changed without my knowledge or authorization) ,but subsequently all my father's assets have been exhausted. He is now at another facility and I am personally supporting approximately half of his living costs. I am being sued along with my father for the prior debts (which I dispute) by the home care agency (not the facility).Do I have any personal liability for his debts?

Kiawah

Is there more to this story, like he gifted out money to you within the last 5 years, or you gifted money on his behalf?

Last edited:

nelzo

I haven't used any of my Dad's money for myself. It has all been used for his care. I signed the original contract and the subsequent one with my name followed by "POA" because I wanted to be sure that I would not be liable. There were no other signed contracts for 2007 or 2008. A local attorney asked me if I had attached my Power of Attorney to the contract, and I think either the facility or the home care agency must have asked for it, but I really don't remember. Why would that make a difference?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">