• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will my charge shpw up on ANY background search?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Three years ago I received a ticket for possession of marijuana. It was a very small amount, my first offense, and simple possession is decrminalized in my state (OHIO). I never went to court, just paid the ticket and that was that. At the time I was told that no entry would be made on my criminal record (i.e. I wouldn't have one). I applied to law school this year and was accepted to several top 20 schools. On each application was a question asking "Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic violation?", to which I answered no. My rationale was that I have no criminal record (I've had background checks performed) and that I was told that the ticket I received was for a non-criminal offense that was, for all intents and purposes, no different than a minor traffic violation. Since completing my application I've heard horror stories about people completing law school and being forbidden from taking the bar examination for lying on their law school applications. I don't think that I lied, but what if the state bar does? Will they be able to find record of a violation that doesn't show up on a criminal background check? Please advise.

C

collegekid

law school app's

I also have applied to law schools and have been accepted-i did disclose arrest information in which the charges were dismissed completely--just to be on the safe side. However, I contemplated the choice you made and just keeping my mouth shut --but i also heard the horror stories which you referred too, and i figured if i spend three years of my life and mad loot on law school--i better be able to get licensed. Anyway, one thing you can do to save your ass (i wish i wouldve known this) is to wait and see which school you finally choose to attend. Then, after you make sure you are accepted and possibly even enrolled--disclose the arrest information to the admissions employee's and tell them that you didnt think it was serious (no more than a minor traffic violation) so you didnt mention it on the their law school app. Then they should be able to clear everything up so when you go in front of the state bar-they will have nothing to bust your balls about :) Good luck hombre !

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">