• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home Owners association and renters rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nepix

To whom this may concern,

I live in San Diego California, and I currently rent a 3 bedroom condo and I am about 3 months away from a year in a 1.5 year lease. When I moved into the condo, included in the lease was a washer and dryer. Our neighbor living on top of us has been the only one to complain about it. He used to be on the home owners association board but for some reason he is no longer a board member. In a meeting with the home owners association, I presented them with papers from my doctor showing that I have skin conditions that can be avoided when I use my own washer and dryer; along with a copy of our lease showing that the washer and dryer are included. The home owners association has sent us a letter stating that we have to remove it within 2 weeks and then schedule an appointment with them for inspection so we do not receive a 100 dollar fine.

my questions here are as follows

1. can a home owners association remove things included in a lease?
2. this neighbor above us is the only one complaining, we only used it during daylight hours. This guy is just an angry person who lost his job and is lashing out at everyone
3. If we have to loose this washer and dryer, is there a recommended amount I should request as a discount from my rent due to the fact that the washer and dryer were included in the lease?

thank you for your help in advance.

HomeGuru

To whom this may concern,

I live in San Diego California, and I currently rent a 3 bedroom condo and I am about 3 months away from a year in a 1.5 year lease. When I moved into the condo, included in the lease was a washer and dryer. Our neighbor living on top of us has been the only one to complain about it. He used to be on the home owners association board but for some reason he is no longer a board member. In a meeting with the home owners association, I presented them with papers from my doctor showing that I have skin conditions that can be avoided when I use my own washer and dryer; along with a copy of our lease showing that the washer and dryer are included. The home owners association has sent us a letter stating that we have to remove it within 2 weeks and then schedule an appointment with them for inspection so we do not receive a 100 dollar fine.

my questions here are as follows

1. can a home owners association remove things included in a lease?

**A: yes and no. The may reuire you and/or your landlord to comply. Apparently the condo rules dictate a washer/dryer not be allowed unless approved by the Board. And there was no Board approval.

#########
2. this neighbor above us is the only one complaining, we only used it during daylight hours. This guy is just an angry person who lost his job and is lashing out at everyone

**A: not pertinent to the issue. The condo docs rule, not the neighbor.

###########
3. If we have to loose this washer and dryer, is there a recommended amount I should request as a discount from my rent due to the fact that the washer and dryer were included in the lease?

**A: how about $50/month.

##############

thank you for your help in advance.
**A: ok. You need to be talking with your landlord.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">