• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket at my apt. complex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

peppercorn

I live in Florida. I was given a parking ticket by the local police while my car was parked at my residence,an apartment complex, because my tag was expired. I know it's illegal to DRIVE a car with an expired tag, but to have it parked at my residence?? I was also given a notice by the landlord that they would tow my car if I didn't move it within the next 2 days. I am selling the car, I don't drive it anymore (have a new car) and therefore I'm not going to keep it insured,which is necessary to keep it registered. Is it really against the law to have a car that has an expired tag? even though it's not being driven? And can the landlord tow it legally? I thought as long as it's parked at my residence and not in a public parking lot, I could keep it there. The car runs, is not old or run-down and is not an eyesore. Please advise.

M

minerk

It's not illegal to have a car with expired tabs, that's why you didn't get a ticket for expired tabs. You received a parking ticket because your landlord apparently has a rule against unregistered vehicles in the parking lot, regardless of condition. Yes, the landlord can have your car towed.

You need to move the car to a friend's place (not at an apt complex) or to a storage lot.

P

peppercorn

Minerk,
Thank you for your reply.
The parking ticket was from the police, though. Do they have the authority to enforce what is not law? The complex can have whatever rules they want, within reason. But, can the police enforce the complex's made-up rules with the police's legal authority?

P

peppercorn

...and the parking ticket was for expired tags(that was the reason that the officer wrote on the ticket).

L

lljnapa

If you're not going to be driving the car AT ALL, you should register it with the DMV as 'Non-Op' and park it OFF the street.
I'm not sure of the laws in your area, but any car parked for an extended period of time, no matter the condition of the car, is considered abandoned and can be ticketed and towed.
Just curious, though... even though you were/are intending to sell the car, why didn't you keep the registration current? It is still your responsibility, and what if the car doesn't sell? Then you'll be left with the reg. fee + late fees and fines, which can multiply quickly.

M

minerk

Your municipality may have laws about where you can park unregistered vehicles, find out where you can legally park your vehicle until you are ready to sell it. DO NOT drive it to the new parking spot. And I stand by my original assertion that you are not required to have the car's registration current...

The 2000 Florida Statutes

Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES Chapter 320

320.02 Registration required; application for registration; forms.--

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, every owner or person in charge of a motor vehicle which is operated or driven on the roads of this state shall register the vehicle in this state. The owner or person in charge shall apply to the department or to its authorized agent for registration of each such vehicle on a form prescribed by the department. No registration is required for any motor vehicle which is not operated on the roads of this state during the registration period.

(2) An owner of a motor vehicle is exempt from the payment of a license tax for any previous period or periods for which registration should have been made upon presentation to the department by the owner of a notarized or certified affidavit stating that such motor vehicle was continuously maintained in dead storage and was not operated at any time during the registration period or periods for which the exemption is being claimed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">