• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parents getting POA for child study abroad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bitwise44

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I have a 20 year old daughter that will be studying out of country for the next 3.5 months. It was suggested that we get a POA in place for managing her finances and tax issues while of country. Currently I have a web from for Maryland POA that allows section of multiple topics such as business issues, investments, real estate, retirement, and tax. As her parents we are only looking to manage her finance and tax issues while away since she does not have these other listed activities. As of now I am planning to sign and notarize this document, but are there steps needed to have this instrument fully activated?

anteater

As of now I am planning to sign and notarize this document..
I assume that the daughter is going to sign, right?

I don't see that the superfluous powers would be a problem.

You might want to check with the financial institutions where you expect to transact business on behalf of your daughter before she leaves. Some get rather sticky about accepting only the POA document and want their own form(s) completed.

Kiawah

And IRS has a separate form, don't think you'll find that they'll accept a POA without their own signed form.

Look at 2848

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">