• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about water damage between units within a condo complex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

romeoangel

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I recently bought a condo unit. The day that I officially got it, the unit below my unit report a water leak causing damage to their bathroom ceiling. The leak was caused by the water faucet of the bathroom within my unit. I had the plumber fix the leak already. So far, I have the Mold Inspector to come out and test the mold for her unit downstairs. It turns out that there is mold development from a sample of her bathroom ceiling, but it is inside the ceiling between her unit and my unit. The air in the bathroom and her unit is fine. So we need a mold remediation and restoration contractor to do both get rid of the mold and replace the drywall at the same time to be more efficient and cost saving. My Mold Inspector refers a trusted licensed contractor, but my below neighbor would not agree. She wants to have her insurance's contractor to come out to fix it and later bill me. She is being really difficult to work with so I recently realize that "since the leak is a slow leak, and it occurred before I officially bought the unit, am I still be responsible for it? That's my question. What do you think?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">