• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Garbage company and their dumpster

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ss_man18

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut
A local carting company wants to collect their dumpster, but the person who originally was assigned the dumpster has since sold the commercial property that the dumpster remains on. Now, the new owner of the property has this dumpster on the property. The carting company is threatening that if the new owner does not pay for the dumpster, the carting will empty the dumpster on site and then drive away with their empty dumpster. Is this legal? Can the carting company do this?

Last edited:

justalayman

well, I would think the cartage company would be guilty of littering, if nothing else. Depending on what is in the dumpster, it could get more serious.

Of course, if the cartage company can prove that any of the refuse within the dumpster was put there by the owner of the store, they could sue for the typical charges of renting a dumpster.

Kiawah

So the old owner failed to turn off this carting utility on the date the property was sold, funds were not transferred at closing between buyer and seller for appropriate days of usage, and the new owner failed to turn on either that company or a different carting company at the day of purchase.

How much are you talking about here, $50-100 bucks?

drewguy

Clearly you have never paid to have a dumpster tipped.
Nor are they aware of who runs many of the dumpster companies in the NY area.

Anyway, perhaps there's some law that would preclude the dumpster company from dumping the load, but really the new owner is learning a possibly expensive lesson about what should occur pre-closing and why escrow is used for such things.

Of course, it wouldn't surprise me if the previous tenant/owner did call to cancel and the dumpster company intentionally left the dumpster past the date just to force some new business. Presumably they want their dumpster back anyway, so it's a bit stupid on their part to insist on further payment.

xylene

Mine ran $60 a month (6 x 6 x 5). How long has it been there, and has the new owner been using it?
So like $60 times a maybe a dozen months (no tip does not mean no fee) + the removal fee... we are talking like maybe a grand. Or more.

JustAPal00

So like $60 times a maybe a dozen months (no tip does not mean no fee) + the removal fee... we are talking like maybe a grand. Or more.
No, it cost $60 a month with once a week pick up. Extra pick ups cost more. We have no idea how long it was sitting there or what size it was, but you can only fill it up once unless they kept picking up. If they let it go more then a few months with no payment, I would be surprised.

xylene

No, it cost $60 a month with once a week pick up. Extra pick ups cost more. We have no idea how long it was sitting there or what size it was, but you can only fill it up once unless they kept picking up. If they let it go more then a few months with no payment, I would be surprised.
I guess my point was that it would be easy for a huge bill to have accumulated in pretty short order for a new tenant in a building that had been sold, big enough that 'tough it up and cave on a mafia-style demand to pay or we trash your property' is not workable.

justalayman

one thing I thought of after re-reading this thread:

when the property was sold, were there any contracts in place that may have transferred with the sale? I can see where the trash pickup would be on a contractual basis and if that contract survived the sale, new owner would simply step into old owners shoes (hope he uses Desenex).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">