• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability for HOA fees.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

finist80

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

About three years ago my ex-roommate and I bought a Townhouse in Marietta,GA with a purpose of fixing it up and re-selling it. The mortgage for the Condo was under my roommate's name and both, his and mine name, where on the title for the property.

Approximately year after we bought the place I realized that my roommate was lying to me about the expenses on the remodeling and I decided to get out of the deal. I moved out believing that my roommate took my name off the title.

Another year later my roommate got into the argument with HOA believing that HOA had to pay for the damage done to the property due to poor landscape construction and did not pay any HOA dues. for a year or so.

HOA forwarded the case to someone who is trying to get the money my roommate owes. Apparently my name is still on the Deed, as I was contacted by a lawyer who is on the case acquiring if i would be interested in making payments on the amount owed.

Question:

Since I have not been residing at the property, is there a way for me to get out of paying the dues?

Thank you very much,
Ruslan

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">