• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil or Criminal? Help.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

I have a sutuation that I'm in and was wondering if you can tell me if this is a criminal or a civil matter...

Someone who I was friends with brought her broken laptop to me... cracked screen, and in a non funtioning mode. I told her a replacement screen will cost $99. So i began to work on her laptop, and then realized that there were other parts that needed to be paid for... I told her that she needed new hinges, and a face mount. Her boyfriend paid for the replacement screen for the laptop under his name although the ownership of the laptop belongs to her mother. I told them the hinges were a special order product and could cost anywhere from $45 - $80 depending on the distributor. I mentioned they needed to pay me up front for the additional parts, and my labor. Few months go by... and my computer shop was closed down... Henry calls to find out the status, and i told him he needed to pay me for the parts so i can order them. He says ok... then hangs up... Now he has his girlfriends mother call me, and accusing me of stealing the laptop because I wont give it back. She threatened to file a police report... saying its a criminal matter... I don't think this is correct because Henry and I had an implied oral agreement which he broke by deciding they didn't want me to fix it. So I told them I wanted to be paid the diagnostic fee. His girlfriends mother said that her lawyer states because my business closed that I should have given the laptop back... I haven't closed the business just the location...

This a criminal or a civil matter? I want to say its civil.... I just want my $49 and I will ship it back to them. She also stated that her lawyer said I will be responsible for the entire laptop that I broke it... blah blah...

JETX

Now he has his girlfriends mother call me, and accusing me of stealing the laptop because I wont give it back. This a criminal or a civil matter?
As long as the computer was DELIVERED to you (and you didn't 'steal' it), then this would be a civil matter.
Of course, that doesn't mean that she can't contact the police and file a complaint. If that were to happen, you would have to explain the situation to the police and see what they will do.

I just want my $49 and I will ship it back to them.
Did your 'agreement' include a 'pay diagnostics or repair' statement. If not, then you wouldn't be entitled to a diagnostic fee 'after the fact. I strongly suggest you document EVERYTHING on this issue in the event that it were to go to court.
It might be more practical to simply create a 'release from any liability' document and get them to sign it and return the unit to them to settle the matter without litigation.

As long as the computer was DELIVERED to you (and you didn't 'steal' it), then this would be a civil matter.
Of course, that doesn't mean that she can't contact the police and file a complaint. If that were to happen, you would have to explain the situation to the police and see what they will do.

Did your 'agreement' include a 'pay diagnostics or repair' statement. If not, then you wouldn't be entitled to a diagnostic fee 'after the fact. I strongly suggest you document EVERYTHING on this issue in the event that it were to go to court.
It might be more practical to simply create a 'release from any liability' document and get them to sign it and return the unit to them to settle the matter without litigation.
The girl who was my supposed friend brought the laptop to my computer shop. My prices were clearly posted in the shop... and again when we formed an oral agreement I made it clear that the price was $99 to fix the computer, or $49 Diagnostics. I have had their laptop for few months and waiting for them to give me additional money to pay for the parts in order to repair it. Good thing I didn't front the money for the cost of the parts. I just invoiced them for the cost of the replacement screen and they paid it. They changed their mind because they were trying to hussle me. They already gave me the ok to open up the computer and replace the screen to fix the computer... now they are claiming that they never gave me permission, and I broke the laptop. They gave me the ok the minute they brought it to me and paid me $99 for the cost of the screen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">