• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who pays?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luckymom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I am the president of a condo board. We are a small building with six units. A month or so ago, the owner of a third floor unit had a washing machine malfunction, sending watering flowing through the walls all the way down into the basement. The people on the second floor who are renting say they have sustained $600 of damage to personal belongings in a closet. The owner of the rental unit seems to think that I as president should be involved. I think that 1) the renters should carry insurance 2) since no common elements were involved, the board doesn't need to do anything 3) the owner with the leaky machine should check with the carrier of her condo insurance to see if this damage is covered.

Does this sound correct? Thank you in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">