• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal advice needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sawdust

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

A manager of a local store has publicly accused me of having sexual relations with one of their employees in the store and claims they have it on tape. The manager along with two other individuals have publicly stated this in the community. The manager made copies of the store tape and gave them to non-employees as well allowed those individuals to visit an employees only area to view said tape. I ask for a copy of tape so I can prove with the tape that these allegations are untrue. I have not been given a copy of the tape. I feel I have been publicly slandered and had false accusations against me. Does this qualify for slander? How should I proceed?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

well, you never denied the act the manager claims he has on tape so;

is it possible he may actually have what he says he has? If so, then as in all slander allegations:

the truth shall set you free and get the case dismissed.

If it is not possible, the only way to attempt to get a copy...

dang guy, the way you talk, half the town has a copy or has seen it. Has anybody confirmed the claim?

anyway; if you want to try to demand a copy, you will have to sue and through the discovery process, you can demand a copy of the tape.

Defamation suits are expensive and hard to win and for an average person, the winnings are quite small typically.

sawdust

Yes I have denied the claim and only need the so called tape to prove it. I know there is no such tape. If they have the evidence then produce instead of run their mouths off, and why wasn't the employee terminated? There have already done their damage even if they can't produce the tape, and they can't...it doesn't exist. Do I have grounds or not?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes I have denied the claim and only need the so called tape to prove it. I know there is no such tape. If they have the evidence then produce instead of run their mouths off, and why wasn't the employee terminated? There have already done their damage even if they can't produce the tape, and they can't...it doesn't exist. Do I have grounds or not?
What doesn't exist -- the tape OR the fact that you had sex with one of the employees in the store?

sawdust

Let me be clear, I'm certain there is no tape with me having sex with the employee because I did not.

JETX

Do I have grounds or not?
Already asked and answered (correctly) by 'justalayman'.

If the allegations are false, you likely have a case for defamation (slander).

So, let's assume you have an absolutely SOLID case of defamation. You will need an attorney. Unless you have considerable legal 'talents', you can't do this on your own (pro per). You will also need:
1) Somewhere near $5,000 PLUS to start litigation.
2) Some kind of 'guess' as to your REAL damages to your reputation and standing due to their 'story'.
3) Proof of the damages. For example, if you had a crappy reputation and/or standing before the statements, little if ANY 'damage'.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">