• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment Laws in New York

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

samantha3

Hi:

I was let go from my old job about 9 months ago and my employer gave me a bad review. I was hired within the same institution, but for a different department and have been working as a temp for about 8 1/2 months. The Department wants to hire me, however HR says that if someone is given a bad review they cannot work for the institution at all. There are several problems with this:

1) They do not have anything written in the employee handbooks or management handbooks stipulating this.

2) They knew I was temping at this department and did not say anything until they tried to hire me.

3) They claim I was also given two bad reviews and claimed that I was able to stay the second time, because it fell through the cracks and no one notice it.

I have several people trying to sort out this problem, but it does not look good. Some people think my old boss does not want me to stay, she is friends with the head of HR. Should I try to get a lawyer or have this case printed in the press? Please advise.

A

Attorney_Replogle

My personal opinion is get the advice of a local employment law attorney first. If there is nothing legally he/she can do for you, then go for the media venue if you want. However, do prepare to be fired and on the bread line then.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">