• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being downsized while on Short Term Disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

faye1954

My company downsized last week by 60 employees. I am currently recovering from major surgery. I have 17 weeks of short term disability pay left. The human resource people called me on that day and told me that my position had been eliminated and that as soon as I returned full time to work, I would be let go. I am impaired with Multiple Sclrosis, FMS, and Rheumatoid Arthritis. My surgery was for carpal tunnel syndrom. Can they legally fire me like that. Do I have any legal recourse against them? I have no money to go to an attorney. I just lost my job. With my disabilities, I do not know if I can get a job anywhere else. I live in Texas.

A

Attorney_Replogle

You really should get a free consultation from a local employment law attorney who knows the laws of Texas. Go to https://attorneypages.com to find one. A number of them may take your case on a pure contingency which will mean no up-front money from you to retain them.

Next, your employer may be required to provide you with FMLA leave once your paid leave ends. However, I am not positive so do speak with a local attorney about this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">