• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Racial Discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Manuel

I live in Houston, Texas. I was stoped by a police officer. He filled my ticket and on the race space he wrote "w" which is white race. I am hispanic and I do not look white at all and my name is Manuel Ernesto Marin, which is a hispanic name. I asked in the municipal court if it could be changed to "h" or hispanic. They told me that for race they only check either white or black.
- I understand that police officers are required to indicate the race of the people they stop, is this so?
- Can I sue the city of Houston or the state of Texas for discrimination, misrepresentation, and/or unequal protection under the law?
I want to do so because even if 100% of the tickets are issued to hispanics, records would show that 100% of tickets were issued to whites. Thank You.
-Manuel Marin-

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">