• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bills when I'm not living there...?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xogorkizkopremx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I moved out of my house about 5-6 weeks ago. I stayed there MAYBE 7 times since then so my ex could have some overnight visits with the baby. I just now officially moved all my things out, got the cable and electricity out of my name, etc. last week.

Before I moved out, I was paying all the bills and my ex was paying rent, that's what we had agreed on.

My ex told me while I was on maternity leave, he would pay all the bills, too.
So, I only saved enough money for my car, ins, and cell (I'm not getting paid for being on maternity leave).

However, since I moved out, my ex is refusing to pay the bills that he agreed to pay.

The electricity is about $300 for 1 1/2 mo and the the cable is about $240 for 1 1/2 mo. $50 of that is a UFC fight he ordered without me authorizing while I wasn't staying there.

I know the bills are in my name, but why should I have to pay for electricity and bills that I'm not using?

And if I AM paying bills, I think I have every right to go into the house whenever I want (I don't want to, but when I tried to get my stroller to go to the zoo, he threatened to have the cops there for breaking and entering even though my name is on the lease until the 30th of this month).

Is he responsible since I was not staying there and because he agreed to pay them before? Or does that not matter since they're in my name?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
They are in your name. Call and have them cancelled at that address since you moved. Inform your ex that you will have them shut off on September whatever and then do so.

Breaking up is very hard to do. Most people don't realize the financial issues they previously took for granted.

Whatever was promised during the relationship doesn't mean anything if it has ended. Unless, it is in writing. Then it is a contract and enforceable.

If the lease is in your name you still have every right to enter the house. Unless there is a court order against it. If you are threatened or the locks have been changed you need call the police.

And if your name is on the lease, a legal contract, you are liable for the rent too. Until you get something in writing from your ex removing your obligation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">