• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Co-op view

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tim913

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania.

I had a nice view of trees / plants from my co-op apartment. It was actually one of the reasons I bought the place. Now the Board and Management of the building decided to place the garbage dumpsters where my nice view was. They ripped everything out including the mature trees. i'm sure this has devalued my apartment's value considerably. we were never notified that this was going to happen. Do I have any recourse in this matter? Thanks.

You Are Guilty

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania.

I had a nice view of trees / plants from my co-op apartment. It was actually one of the reasons I bought the place. Now the Board and Management of the building decided to place the garbage dumpsters where my nice view was. They ripped everything out including the mature trees. i'm sure this has devalued my apartment's value considerably. we were never notified that this was going to happen. Do I have any recourse in this matter? Thanks.
While I doubt you have any recourse, I'd like to check the local codes to make sure, so what city in PA?

While you're waiting, you can read your proprietary lease and see what rights, if any, you have to a "view".

Tim913

While I doubt you have any recourse, I'd like to check the local codes to make sure, so what city in PA?

While you're waiting, you can read your proprietary lease and see what rights, if any, you have to a "view".

I live in Pittsburgh. Thank you for your help. I'm sure this is a losing battle it's just the lack of consideration, judgment and vision the Board and Management show. Of course none of their apartments face this direction -- how convenient.

You Are Guilty

I see nothing locally that would help you, and if your PL is silent on the issue, there goes any breach of contract claim. I suppose you could proceed on some sort of nuisance theory, if for no other reason than to get some leverage in your negotiations to have them move it. But this is one of the (many) dangers of living in a co-op or condo.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">