• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tow Trucks and Initals in the place of a name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

west911

The incident happened in Orem, Utah. I was involved in a tow truck incident. I filed a small claims suit the very next morning. Took a couple months to finally go to small claims trial. Even though I won in ref to the Utah Law R909-19-23 on grounds that the company address was missing on the receipt, I still have an unanswered question. Only the initials of the company were on the receipt. Same with the initals for the name of the driver. Is it legal to use initials in the place where the law requires the name of a person and/or name of the company? If not, then why can't you cash a check with only your initals on it and not your full name?

On my website, I have written a detailed review of what happened if you want more information.

My website
How to beat a tow truck company

Utah Towing Laws
UT Admin Code R909-19. Safety Regulations for Tow Truck Operations - Tow Truck Requirements for Equipment, Operation and Certification. May 1, 2009

racer72

What law specifies the specific requirements for a towing company receipt? The format for the reciept and how it is signed should be strictly up to the towing company and it's policies.

west911

Utah Tow Law

It was Utah Law R909-19-23. It states:

Charges for services provided must be listed and itemized on a receipt and provided the customer. The information on the receipt must include company name, address, phone number, transportation and storage fees charged, name of driver, unit number of towing vehicle or license plate, description of the vehicle that was towed, and the total breakdown of time and services rendered

What about company name and name of driver? Are they legally able to use initials in the place of the name?

justalayman

then why can't you cash a check with only your initals on it and not your full name?

I sign my checks with initials all the time. My signature is my two first initials plus my last name. Never a problem with any legal document.

If your signature is only initials, then that is what your "official" mark is. Aren't you old enough to have known somebody that signed their mark with an "X"? As long as it was their X, it was their signature.

but all of that is irrelevant.

as to initials for the name of the company; is the name something like X Y Towing where the name is initials.? If not, then no, it would not be acceptable to use initials for the company because that is not the company name.

While the drivers name is specified, I would suspect that some identifying term would be acceptable. If a guy goes by "Bubba" and there is a driver that is known as Bubba at the company, I suspect the state would not be so strict as to penalize the company for that. I suggest the reason for the name is simply to identify the driver and a nickname, if normally used, would do just that.

actually, based on the terminology used in the rules, it does not require a "legal" name or a complete name. It simply states "the drivers name". So, if they wrote "Mike", that would fulfill the requirements, in my opinion.

west911

You said:
>>If not, then no, it would not be acceptable to use initials for the company because that is not the company name.

The name of the company was Knight Parking Enforcement. They had K.P.E. on the receipt. Knight Parking Enforcement is the name they have registered with the state. No DBA was registered as K.P.E. They did have registered back in 2000 Knight Parking Enforcement (KPE), but it's long since expired 9 years ago.

Here is a link to the utah state website. Just cut 'n paste the name and hit submit. You'll be able to see first hand what I am talking about.

https://secure.utah.gov/bes/action/index

Do you have law to reference on the above explained? State or Federal?

OK west911, relax. You've been screwed around and now you want revenge. That is understandable. Sometimes though, you just need to take a deep breath and go on.

As far as I know, there is no law anywhere in the US that defines how to sign your name. As "justalayman" points out, your signature is YOUR identifying mark. Whether it is a scribble, a wriggly line, or a well balanced piece of penmanship, your signature is unique to you. Whether you use your name, nickname, or initials is irrelevant.

Under UTAH law though, an improper receipt would be an administrative matter dealt with by the Department of Transportation or Consumer Affairs; whichever department handles tow trucks.

A check is NOT a "legal document" that requires notarization or government involvement. It is a negotiable instrument that is really a private arrangement between two people. Although there are rules for checks, generally, no one looks at the endorsement or signature unless there is a question of forgery.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">