• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eric266

I had done some casual computer work for a local business and was owed about $400. The owner had also asked me to purchase a domain name, as they had plans for a web site. The owner paid for this domain name with his credit card, but I was registered as the administrative and technical contact.

At that time the store wasn't doing very well, and was having trouble paying its staff. I suspected they were nearly bankrupt, as some cheques had already bounced. The manager told me he wouldn't be able to pay for my $400 of labor since they weren't doing well. The owner of this store had moved to another town to open a second store under the same name.

A few weeks later I received an email from someone wanting to buy the domain name. Seeing as how I was still owed $400, I didn't hesitate to sell the domain name for the original purchase price ($200). A few weeks after that, I got a call from the owner. They were starting to set up a website and needed the passwords for the domain name. When I gave him the passwords and was told they didn't work (the new domain name owner changed them as expected), I acted as if I didn't know what had happened. I felt guilty and purchased another similar domain name (same name but different extension) for $30 and gave the store owner the password for that, but never told him of what I had really done. The owner didn't know anything about domain names so this wasn't odd to him.

Was I within my rights to sell the domain name? Was what I did illegal?

eric266

Correct, I am in Canada. Sorry, now I understand the What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? in a new post. If you don't mind me asking, what would this situation be like if I was in the US?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">