• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Urgent advice needed.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mari666

I live in Canada, but I'm sure the laws are similar. My query is whether I have cause or not to file a small claims lawsuit against this person.

We purchased an used car from a family friend's cousin. He's worked at various car shops and now has his own place. When we looked the car over and asked some questions, we were told some of the issues would be fixed. One of those issues being the air conditioner that wasn't working. We drove the car without problems for a little over 2 months when the car began to sound really bad. It eventually wouldn't start again. After spending a week and a half waiting for him to come check it out, he mentioned that it could be a few things which were bought by us and then returned because they weren't the problem(battery, starter).

After this fiasco, he took the top off the engine and found that there was engine coolant allover the place. Problem found! That part was replaced and the only issue now was a new belt. He insisted that we get a belt to bypass the A/C compressor. We did. This was over 2 months ago. A week after, he told us to tow the car to his garage. But as I couldn't make it at a certain time, he told me to park it in a parking lot by a Hertz car rental center and told me to go into Hertz and a rental would be waiting for me and he said he'd take care of it. I got the rental and put it under my credit card because he wasn't around. I also left the keys with the person at the desk as I was told. The guy would come by and grab the car and then take it to his shop.

After 3 weeks of nonstop calling and asking when the car is going to be ready, Hertz tells me I need to return the car or they would report it stolen. So I return the car and the guy meets me there to help me "take care of the bill". Well, he told me he can get the vehicle for 20 bucks a day and that's the deal he was getting us. Which is the reason why I rented the vehicle. When we got there, the person told us that it would cost a little over $1,200.00. After some arguing with Hertz and the guy, we left and I was taken home and told he'd talk to Hertz and get it straightened out. This happened on August 26th.

Fast forward to today. He wants $650.00 for repairs done to the car. The A/C compressor was replaced and the tensioner installed. He told us he would fix the A/C for us as a part of the purchase. But since it wasn't in writing, I feel that's a loss. Hertz charged me $864 for the rental that should've only cost $360 with the discount we were supposed ot be receiving.

We rented the car only because we were told it would be $20/day. We live 40 minute drive away from this place. Our regular car rental place is a 10 minute walk away and would've cost us MUCH less for a rental. We've rental vehicles every so often during the time that our car was out of commission and being "fixed".

The guy refuses to help any further on the car rental and says that he won't pitch in for that. He also told us we have to pay for the repairs done to the car that we did not agree to.

I'm thinking of going to a legal advice place and talking it over with them and seeing what i should do. This is my first step in finding a way to deal with this.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Out of Luck

Sorry Mari. This is one of the problems with buying from a friend / relative.

Unless there was a written guarantee, the original seller does not need to repair the vehicle. Hertz is the same thing, unless there was a written agreement, you pay them the going rate.

Sometimes life sucks and when you are losing a lot like you are, it sucks even more.

racer72

Fusion guy, this site is for US law only. By answering posts from other countries, you are encouraging other foreigners to post. Please don't do this. There are folks spending a lot of money to support this site and when they are told this site is for the folks who reside in the US, we must follow this rule. It is in the TOS you agreed to when you signed up for this site.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">