• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paid retainer- got no representation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LovelyBeaches

State of Ohio. I now live in Florida & just found out why I lost custody of my daughter 15 years ago. I paid an attorney a $500 retainer fee to represent me in a child custody battle. I was told not to worry because there was no reason for me to have my child taken from me. When her father took her for Christmas of 1985 she was never returned to me. For weeks before this happend I contacted my attorney to find out what was going on & got no response. When I called my ex-husband to let him know I wanted to pick up my daughter after his X-mas visit to his relatives, he imformed me that he had been awarded temporary custody of our daughter & she would be flying out of the state of Ohio that very day. If I had any questions, to contact children's services which I did. Also, contacting once again the office of my attorney. I never in all these years recieved a reply from her & I lived in Ohio until 1997. This happened in 1985. After this happened I fell apart not having any family or emotional support system in place. I stared drinking & eventually quit the high-paying job I had at the time. And also I was ordered to pay child support. Needless to say, I never really got a grip on things until recently. Because my daughter & I have been reunited & my ex-husband & I are talking. He told me that my attorney & I had a court date of which I was never made aware of & that she also never attended. That after 3 hours of waiting for her, the court located her & she asked for a continuance which was denied. Once again, the only way I found all this out was through my ex, & she never once responded to the many messages I left at her office to contact me & she never returned my $500.00 retainer. She is now & has been for the last 4 or 5 years a judge in the court of common pleas in a county in Ohio. Not only do I find it offensive that a person of her character would be a judge but what I'd like to know most of all (since all of this is in the records in the state of Ohio) do I have any recourse at this time? As far as monetary compensation because of emotional pain & suffering I've endured. And the $500.00 plus interest. If I have no legal recourse, could I get in trouble for contactng her & letting her know if she does not set things right with me I will contact the local TV stations in Ohio, 20/20, Dateline, etc. as to letting the people of this county in Ohio know about the history of one of their judges. Would that be considered threatening a public official or blackmail? Which is not my intent. Thank you very much!
Sincerely,
Gabriela

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">