• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jamie Kahl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I had been turned into collections for an unpaid hospital bill from 2003 that should have been billed to my insurance company for about 10,000 dollars. The bills were just recently cancelled by the hospital because they realized that it was their fault that the bill was not taken care of correctly, however this has damaged my credit severly for going on 6 years, am I entitled to any kind of compensation?

JETX

am I entitled to any kind of compensation?
No.... and you're also not correct about the 'excuse'. The insurance company provides coverage on YOUR behalf. You are still personally liable for all medical bills you incur. If the insurance company doesn't pay, no matter what the 'excuse' (hospital error, etc.) it is still YOUR bill to pay.

Jamie Kahl

The hospital was provided with the insurance info when we arrived at the hospital. The error is that they never billed the insurance but instead forwarded the account to collections ruining my credit.

JETX

The hospital was provided with the insurance info when we arrived at the hospital.
Again, their billing your insurance company instead of you is a COURTESY (also helps to assure prompt payment). It does not waive your obligation to pay.

The error is that they never billed the insurance but instead forwarded the account to collections ruining my credit.
I have never heard of a hospital who simply NEVER billed the debtor... or had any other contact.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">