• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I Bring Up Attorney's Past?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mateo87

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

The attorney of the party we are suing in small claims has sent me a fabricated copy of a check in an attempt to scare us into not going through with the claim. If that gets submitted to the court as evidence, its going to be alot more work on our part to prove our case, and may burn how the judge looks at us as people.

In 2003, I found out that the attorney was reprimanded, on part, for entering into evidence a document he knew was false. Much like he is threatening to do now. Would I be able to bring up his history in court, or would it not serve any effect?

THANKS!

racer72

Your case is not against the attorney or his past. His past is irrelevant to your case and anything brought up about will not be allowed as testimony.

Your case is not against the attorney or his past. His past is irrelevant to your case and anything brought up about will not be allowed as testimony.
True. If the "check" is a fake then ask for the true check. Let the attorney know that you will follow through on the check's veracity.

DO NOT threaten the attorney with a bar complaint. That part comes later after your case.

Fraudulent evidence should be brought to the Judges attention. That will influence the Judge and it is quite probable the Judge will refer the lawyer to the bar. Although, it could be that the party you are suing forged the check.

If this is complicating matters, you might seek out a lawyer for advice. The winning party usually does get reimbursed for his lawyer.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">