• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sublease a Car in TX, while still in my name, gone wrong

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

minhhh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX (austin)

I had a car that I still owe money on, but didn't want to make payments anymore, so a friend wanted to take over the car and start making payments.

we signed a contract, and got it notarized, now, he made the first down payment and first month. then for 3-4 months straight, every payment he made was bounced. (about 2 bank transfers bounced and 2 checks bounced) on top of that, he didn't have insurance on the car for 2-3 months which the bank then added more money to the loan,

now the car is being repo'd and and the repo'd lady told him that it's illegal in texas for me to have sublease my car to another person while still in my name.

I understand the repo will be under my name, but would I be able to sue this guy for this 4-5 month ride he's been putting me on? or make sure that he doesn't sue me? I'm sure this can make it to small claims court or something..

please help!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You didn't have the legal authority to do what you did. That's a contractual matter, so TX law wouldn't even matter in that aspect of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">