• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

slander?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Taylordiane

hi, i have a question for my sister, she is 7 months pregnant, the father of her baby denies he is the father and has been telling everyone that there are 5 different men who could be the father, its so bad that he has other people spreading this around town, this is a small town and she cant go anywhre without someone comming up to her and telling her this, she has even lost friends because of it, they have even starterd spreading these terrible rumors, and my sister is very stressed about this, i was wondering if thre is anything she can do against these people or if she has to continue listening to this stuff...

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

First, she needs to sue the father for Paternity, and "prove" that he's the father. If he is the father, then she'll have enough "ammunition" to sue him for having slandered her good, unmarried, out of wedlock, name.

She can't sue the "other" people because they're only repeating what they heard, and what he started.

Just remember, if he isn't the father, "truth" is an absolute defense to a slander lawsuit.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">