• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hotel responsible for issuing key to stranger

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yanevano

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

Hotel responsible for issuing key to stranger
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana
I was attending a conference at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Kenner, Louisiana on June 19-21, 2009. The registration desk gave someone the key to my room without my permission and without asking this person for identification. I went up to my room and there was a do not disturb sign on my door. I tried to use my key and the door was locked from the inside. I banged on the door several times, said open this door now. After approximately almost 10 minutes, a male voice said ok I'm coming. He opened the door and I recognized him from the conference and he had a female friend in my bed. As the female was walking out the door, she punched me in the forehead and my head jerked back and I fell into the door.

I immediately went to the front desk and filed a report with the hotel security person. I also called the Kenner Police dept. and filed a claim with them.

I would like to know if the hotel is liable for giving out my hotel key to someone without my permission and what steps need to be taken. The hotel manager has contacted me by email and by phone and wants to meet with me regarding this incident. Before I do so, I need to get some legal advice. If I need to hire an attorney, I will do so.

Thank youWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

racer72

At a minimum, I would want them to comp me a night at the hotel. You did not win the deep pockets lottery, an attorney would likely cost more that what you will get from the hotel. Heck, shoot for a refund of your entire stay, they may just give it to you.

While racer is most like correct, I would meet with the manager and see what he has to say. Don't commit yourself or argue. If you like his offer then great. If not, walk away.

Next time, call the hotel security right away. Let them discover the trespasser. Regardless of how they got the key, they trespassed and should have been arrested.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">