• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cmoor06

I am working at a factory in indiana. Recently an employee was fired for missing too much work. I am on the review committee and would like to know where I stand legally. If this person was terminated for taking off 3 days for a legal spouses grandparents funeral. 3 days are given for your own grandparents but not for spouses. I have always believed that when you are married you share everything and are one flesh. Is there any way this could be religous discrimination, if it contradicts the belief that once you are married your families belong to both of you?

Thank you

A

Attorney_Replogle

Religious Discrimination

That is a most excellent analysis!!! I have not thought of that one before. I think that would "fly". The appropriate reasonable accommodation then required by the employer would be to allow such an employee time off for that occassion as if it were his own parent/grandparents funeral.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">