• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prepared Statement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

How is a person viewed by a judge who reads a statement defending his case in open court? I don't think very well off the top of my head with facts of a case. I don't want to forget important points to support my case particularly presenting evidence. So I figure to best state my facts of the case, I should write a statement. But it may be viewed as something I don't want to be judged on. If I talk off the top of my head, I will forget stuff and get nervous.

Keep your statement brief and to the point. The Judge will not waste time with long winded comments and will shut you down.

My suggestion would be to write down in note form everything first. Every time you remember something jot it down. Then, after a couple of days, look for what is relevant and write your statement from that.

THEN,

Write longer notes on each point you made. Remember these points and what you wrote. This will help your memory if the Judge asks you any questions you didn't cover in your statement.

Unless you are the plaintiff, the Judge might not allow you to just read a statement though. It will depend upon the Judge.

Good luck and good question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">