• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sick days

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tap93

i'm from missouri, my employer says i can not be out sick. she also said we can not miss work due to a death in the family.

D

D. D. Lessenberry

Unless you have a contract stating sick days and bereavement days (and an employee handbook generally does not form a contract), then she is correct.

Search your state's labor laws, too. Sounds like a pretty mean-spirited company.

Good luck,
D. D.

A

Attorney_Replogle

I respectfully disagree with Mr. Lessenberry re the company handbook. In certain cases, that can indeed form a contract of employment, though not in the sense of defeating an at-will employment policy. Yet I digress. The point is that your boss may be wrong as far as your company handbook/policy is concerned. Second, your state laws may provide for required days off for sickness and or bereavement. So do speak with an employment law attorney near you to be sure. Third, if you have worked long enough at that employer, you would surely be covered by the provisions of the federal Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA). So any termination due to your own sickness, or that of a close family member, or for bereavement purposes would appear to be in violation of the FMLA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">