• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex Roommates belongings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LaylaRenee77

My roommate moved out June 21, 2000. When she left she took a car load of personal belongings. It has now been 9 months and I still have a room full of her stuff, including bedding and clothes. She has made no attempt to come get her stuff, she has never called, but she has sent a few emails that gave excuses for her not getting it. I want to throw it out. Am I within my rights? When she left here, she was not paid up on rent, I was at work, and she had all day to move her stuff. I live in California. Also, I have never responded to those emails with claims of being willing to store her stuff.

T

ttttigger

I am almost in the same situation and I will tell you what i found out. My ex roomate went to jail and his property is at my house. I was told to send a certified letter to the person stating that he had 30 days to remove his property from my home, or have someone else remove it. After that send another letter if the first one doesnt work and let them know that in 10 days if the items arent removed they will go to charity. They said I had to make reasonable attempts to contact him about the removal of the property. The certified letter has to be signed by the receiver of the letter so it lets you know that they did receive it. This is just my experience and you may want to go to the police and find out legally if this is the way to go. Hope this helps. I have seen results already.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">