• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I Have ANY Rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

artgal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am in Nevada

I'm in an apartment with a unit on each side of me. There have been problems between the man to my left and I since he moved in (noise, sneaking family members in under the lease, etc.) A year ago the man to the right of me had his 23 year old daughter move in, and she is desperately lonely and picked up a friendship with the troublesome man. Her father (who is NOT fond of the other man) works nights and isn't here to stop her so she has been stomping back and forth past my window numerous times a day. It's very disturbing and since she also has emotional problems it's become a revenge game with her on her "friend's" behalf.

There is a stairway on each side of the building by their respective apartments, so I blocked the walkway in front of MY unit (with my bicycle) so she has to go down her stairs and go up his to visit him.

The games and the tricks came to a head and I called the sheriff, who told me 1) I can't black the walkway (even though NO STAIRS ARE BLOCKED) and 2) she is not doing anything illegal. So a troubled person can disturb my peace and I have no rights here? Other tenants have told me she goes up and peers in peoples' windows all the time, and we've all observed her walking around talking to herself. This guy I have the disagreements with found the perfect weapon to hit me with. He plays on her loneliness and emotional condition to use her against me.

My landlord won't deal with it and told me to call the police, THEY tell me to call the landlord -- so basically no one gives a damn. AND I LOST MY JOB SO I CAN'T MOVE. I've lived here longer than either of them put together, do I have any recourse left?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cyjeff

I have a thought.

Have you TALKED to the people about this like a grown up rather than playing silly little power games?

You know, like using your bike to block a right of way? Something that could have been dangerous if there was a fire or emergency?

Damn... grow up.

artgal

I have a thought.

Have you TALKED to the people about this like a grown up rather than playing silly little power games?

You know, like using your bike to block a right of way? Something that could have been dangerous if there was a fire or emergency?

Damn... grow up.
Well of course I've talked to them -- I'm not stupid. And please read for comprehension -- I have blocked NO STAIRS. These people are the ones on the power trip. If this is the best you can come up with, you are the one who should grow up. Thank you for your excellent and so helpful advice.

cyjeff

Well of course I've talked to them -- I'm not stupid. And please read for comprehension -- I have blocked NO STAIRS. These people are the ones on the power trip. If this is the best you can come up with, you are the one who should grow up. Thank you for your excellent and so helpful advice.
No... Instead you decided to build a fort using your bicycle and, perhaps, some of the cushions from the couch.

In the meantime, you could have blocked emergency services from gaining access to any of the apartments in a reasonable time. This would be why the nice officer told you to take it down.

You cannot demand people to stop moving around in a legal manner because it bothers you.

Talk to this "very lonely" girl that you, apparently, saw no reason to befriend.

However, you have no legal authority whatsoever to restrict their movements.

Even if.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">