• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with some info guy wants to take me to court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chsmath1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington
I traded my broken iphone (3G) for a 2G iphone on craigslist to this guy. He is now accusing me of scamming him and wants to take me to court. The iphone i traded him did not work and in the posting I stated that it was broken and did not turn on. Can he llegitimately take me to court and want can i do?
Read more: I answered and add on craigslist to sublease a b... - JustAnswer

justalayman

traded my broken iphone (3G) for a 2G iphone on craigslist to this guy. He is now accusing me of scamming him and wants to take me to court. The iphone i traded him did not work and in the posting I stated that it was broken and did not turn on. Can he llegitimately take me to court and want can i do?
yes, he can take you to court and you can defend yourself. Be sure to have a copy of the ad you placed or any correspondence stating the phone was not functioning.

This alone does not mean you will win. It merely is part of what you should have as evidence.

justalayman

get copies of anything that will support your position before they are removed. You may need to request copies of ads that have since been removed. You may need a subpoena to do this.

This looks good. Remember though, unless he can demonstrate that there was any part on your end about "fitness for use", it is an "as is" sale. Although he is the one who must prove YOU represented the phone as in working condition, it will be a lot easier for the Judge if you can show it wasn't.

Good luck. And if it helps, when he loses, he also loses the filing fee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">