• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

was i wrong to sell it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

ttttigger

Pennsylvania
a former friend of mine was living with me. He went to jail and all of his personal property is at my house. His car which he paid $200.00 for, is registered to me because he doesnt have a current license. The car needed to be inspected and was a stick so I couldnt drive it. I went to the police and told them he paid for the car,it was registered to me asking what I was supposed to do with it. They said that because the car was registered to me, I could do whatever I wanted with it as long as i had the title and registration papers with my name on them. When I got the papers about a month later, i sent a note telling him that i was selling it to my brother because it couldnt sit there uninspected. I sold it to my brother for the same 200.00. Now he is filing a civil suit to get the car back or the money. I had checked with the police at least three times to make sure that it was ok. The day that i transferred the car over to my brother, I came home and there was a message on my machine that a friend of his was coming to get the car. It was already too late. Were the police wrong and i shouldnt have sold it? What do I do now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">