• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is it legal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mass_Shyster

is it legal for a person to keep a deposit on a snowmobile if i changed my mind about buying it?
Not enough information to tell. The most important question has already been ignored by you (What state).

Also need to know how old you are, how old the other person is, if you have a written agreement, the amount of the deposit, the purchase price of the vehicle, when the deposit was given, and how the deposit was paid.

In general, what is the point of a deposit? In my opinion, it is a commitment by the buyer. Simply changing your mind isn't honorable.

Besides Steve's reasons, it would also depend upon WHY you decided to cancel the agreement. A deposit is a commitment and holds both buyer and seller.

If the reason is if you suddenly can't afford it, too bad. Your fault. You shouldn't have made the agreement unless you were prepared to go through with it.

If the reason is the merchandise is not as advertised, then you have a case. Not your fault. Your due diligence discovered the seller misrepresented the item. Contracts are generally non-binding if they are based upon a fraud.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">