• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I witnessed our neighbor shoot at my husband...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

khm36866

We live in Alabama (out in the country) and we have a very dangerous man living 50 yards away from us. In November of 2007, I saw him SHOOT a rifle twice at my husband...luckily not hitting him. I called the Sherrif's dept. and we had him arrested. (he was back home a few hours later).

After a couple of months, we had court. He was found guilty of "Reckless Endangerment" with a gun, his gun permit was taken away and the judge told him not to fire any guns from his property for 1 YEAR. After court the neighbor appealed it. 3 days later he was shooting again. I called the Sherrif's dept, they came and said there was nothing they could do...because he appealed it!!

We were supposed to go back to court a couple of times over the last 2 years, but it keeps getting put off because they say that there are more important cases than ours.

This crazy man hides behind sheds in his back yard and shoots his shotguns and rifles over our home. When he shoots the shotgun, I can hear the shot hitting the metal roof on our carport. He does most of the shooting when he knows my husband isn't home...Just to terrorize me!! We have been constantly harassed by this man and have filed complaints/reports on him, but the Sherrif's dept. says there is nothing they can do unless it is caught on video tape.

I would appreciate any advice or information on what can be done.

**Moving is not an option**

TigerD

Shoot back.

Not with a gun (of course, with a gun would end the problem), purchase a couple of cameras and microphones, connect them to a DVR and make the tape the sheriff asked for.

DC

Get an attorney and sue the police department!!!! nothing says action like scaring the police by threatening them because they are not doing their jobs,

khm36866

We have 7 complaints filed so far and have copies of the reports here at home, but all they are is paper. Nothing is being done.

We have also tried many times to get him on video camera, but he hides behind things in his yard when he is shooting his guns.

When my husband cuts the grass in our yard, my father-n-law has to come to our home and sit on our porch with a rifle..just to make sure he can get done safely.

We would love to be able to move, but I became disabled 2years ago and my husband had to quit his job of 17 years to take care of me, so we are living off of my small check every month.

We lived here for 2 years before this IDIOT moved in next door. It was a peaceful area unil then. We could sit out in the yard and play with our dog. Now we are confined to the house and so is our dog because he said he would not only kill us, but our 12 year old dog too, who doesn't bother anyone.

We even went on our local t.v. news and told about the shooting episode and the other harassment... still, nothing!!

We live in fear of our lives everyday and it's bad when no one seems to understand or even care.

Just in case some of you were wondering... my husband and I are both white and so is the neighbor.

drewguy

Can you record the audio? Can you find the casings or bullets shot?

Surely the police could if they wanted confirm that the gun was being used--they just need a basis for asking the question.

Mass_Shyster

We have 7 complaints filed so far and have copies of the reports here at home, but all they are is paper. Nothing is being done.

We have also tried many times to get him on video camera, but he hides behind things in his yard when he is shooting his guns.

When my husband cuts the grass in our yard, my father-n-law has to come to our home and sit on our porch with a rifle..just to make sure he can get done safely.

We would love to be able to move, but I became disabled 2years ago and my husband had to quit his job of 17 years to take care of me, so we are living off of my small check every month.

We lived here for 2 years before this IDIOT moved in next door. It was a peaceful area unil then. We could sit out in the yard and play with our dog. Now we are confined to the house and so is our dog because he said he would not only kill us, but our 12 year old dog too, who doesn't bother anyone.

We even went on our local t.v. news and told about the shooting episode and the other harassment... still, nothing!!

We live in fear of our lives everyday and it's bad when no one seems to understand or even care.

Just in case some of you were wondering... my husband and I are both white and so is the neighbor.
Talk to a lawyer and see if she can get a restraining order.

You may have a civil case for nuisance, assault, and intentional infliction of emotional distress, although the emotional distress claim normally requires extreme emotional distress that requires treatment and/or therapy.

lizjimbo

Restraining order...puleeeez

There are a lot of people that died with a restraining orders in their hand. One thing for certain is it is not the job of the police to protect you, that is your job. Police or sheriffs only enforce laws that have been violated if they know the violator.

Do what is necessary to protect your life and the lives of your family members. The state you live in has laws on the books that will explain the options you have to protect and preserve your life against any threat. Sometimes it might mean...move.

Yertle8

What's more ludicrous, recommending getting a restraining order or recommending that you move away because it's 'not the job of the police to protect you?'

If you're suggesting they buy a gun, I'd agree. Everything else you said is nonsense.

divona2000

Have you tried calling the DNR-or it's counterpart in your state-to report the rifle and shotgun fire from your neighbor? I'm not familiar with Alabama's specific game laws, but most rules prohibit gun shooting within 450 feet of a residence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">