• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Software license agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bechtoea

I was looking into buying some self paced system administrator courses from Sun Microsystems. I asked if I could sell or transfer my one-user license once I was done with the product. Sun said "no." I asked them to send me the license agreement. Sun faxed it to me. Excerpts in reference to my question are listed below:

"License can not be sold or otherwise transferred to any other individual or enity under any circumstances"

As you can tell, this is fundamentally different from most licenses agreements. Let's say that I buy a course for $750 and use it. Once I am done with it, Sun says I CANNOT GIVE or SELL it. I don't see how they can do this. In fact, I thought that a company had tried this before and lost in court. I thought software was like a book, music CD, or any other piece of software. But I am no lawyer, which is why I am here.

So the question is "Can Sun Microsystems put a restriction of only one user, not transferable under any circumstances?"

Thanks

bechtoea OHIO

L

lawrat

Yes they can. It is like Word software programs. CANNOT BE TRANSFERRED.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">