• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property lines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kriscable

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I recently purchased a house. Many years ago, a house was built behind my house. The new house's lot was too small, so my property's then current owner sold them a portion of my property for $1, essentially making the new house's lot large enough to build a house on. Since then, both houses have changed hands and a fence has gone up. The fence makes it appear that I possess a square lot, but I do not as the house behind mine still owns this cut out portion and they are paying taxes on it. The new house also recently bought an additional parcel of land, making their lot larger than ever. The original size problem no l longer exists.

Both parties have agreed it's time to return my property to its rightful square size. What steps do I need to take to make this happen? One neighbor told me he thinks that little parcel is worth $15,000. I don't have that kind of money nor do I believe it's worth it. With the fence having been built, it's obvious my neighbors do not plan on using this parcel. Is there an amount of time I can wait and just claim it as mine?

drewguy

A.p. requires 10 years in Oregon, but there may be other requirements as well.

If you're treating it as yours, and they don't seem to care, why can't you negotiate a lower price? They should be happy with a couple thousand dollars. It's not like they can sell it to someone else. the most they could do is insist you move your fence--offer them slightly more than what it would cost to do that.

Perhaps you could work out a payment plan as well.

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I recently purchased a house. Many years ago, a house was built behind my house. The new house's lot was too small, so my property's then current owner sold them a portion of my property for $1, essentially making the new house's lot large enough to build a house on. Since then, both houses have changed hands and a fence has gone up. The fence makes it appear that I possess a square lot, but I do not as the house behind mine still owns this cut out portion and they are paying taxes on it. The new house also recently bought an additional parcel of land, making their lot larger than ever. The original size problem no l longer exists.

Both parties have agreed it's time to return my property to its rightful square size. What steps do I need to take to make this happen? One neighbor told me he thinks that little parcel is worth $15,000. I don't have that kind of money nor do I believe it's worth it. With the fence having been built, it's obvious my neighbors do not plan on using this parcel. Is there an amount of time I can wait and just claim it as mine?

What the heck,,, I am so lost.

Whatever Good luck.

lizjimbo

Re-fence your property

Tell your neighbor that you cannot afford the asking price. Then tell them you have contacted a fence company and that for about $500.00 they are coming to reset the fence.

Maybe they will take $500.00 for the land.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">