• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims Death Threat

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Steve_in_FL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I am a small business owner who was sued by a client. We had the trial today in small claims court. The judge said we would receive the verdict via mail within a week because she had to review the evidence.

As soon as I exited the court house the plaintiff and her boyfriend started to say threatening statements using profanities. As I was walking to my car the boyfriend walked up to my face and they both said I would be dead in a week among other nasty things over and over. I certainly felt in danger and immediately went back into court house and was advised to seek a temp. restraining order after the police took a statement. I don't know if it was granted yet and was told that the family court judge didn't get to it yet and I would have to wait until morning. I'm a very worried obviously about the incident and feel I am in danger.

I raised issues about their credibility because they lied a few times during the trial. During the trial they said "Do we look like people who would do that?" Implying they were so honest, etc. Well, this certainly might be damaging to their credibility. In addition, most of the incident was caught on security cameras, so the police said. The police said they could definitely tell what was going on by watching the tape and how agressive they were acting.

Even though these people are nut jobsI still want to win my case and I couldn't get a sense if the judge was going to rule in my favor.

My question may seem in inappropriate in light of the circumstances but here is;
Should I write a letter to the small claims judge informing the court of what happened immediately after the trial and the sweet couple in her court room were in fact a couple of thugs? I could describe their actions and provide the courthouse officers names who helped me and provide the info regarding the security camera footage. Is writing a letter to the judge appropriate? Thanks for your help!

justalayman

=Steve_in_FL;2361572]
Should I write a letter to the small claims judge informing the court of what happened immediately after the trial and the sweet couple in her court room were in fact a couple of thugs?
No. It cannot be considered in your case as evidence. First, it is post trial; second, it was not presented while court; third, the defendant(s) do not have the opportunity to defend themselves against the claims/statements since the trial is already over.

Since this may have been recorded, why would the police not take a criminal complaint?

Steve_in_FL

Death Threat

I appreciate your answer and it makes sense. I will follow your advice and not write the letter.

I didn't ask about criminal charges and the police didn't offer. I had not thought to ask. Now that you mention it I should inquire tomorrow after I find out about the restraining order...unless, god forbid, they make good on their threat. The officers gave me the info to get a copy of the tapes and guess I should get it.

Do you think I have a civil suit against them? They do have money and I think they should be held accountable. If you think I have a case, do you think an attorney would take it on contingency?

justalayman

I don't see a big civil case. A single threat doesn't really constitute any real actionable claim. There may be a criminal case but obviously there is no money in that for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">