• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unsure of where to file a small claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nmiddleton50

I am in New york city and want to bring up a small claims case against someone who doesn't live in the area. I lived upstate new york, in a small town and a "friend" needed money to pay for a lawyer. I paid the lawyer $3,500, kept the receipt and got a letter from the person stating that they would "pay me the money back". I saved the letter and receipt, and now they are denying me that they owe me anything. Where do I file the small claims because neither of us live in that area?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

I am in New york city and want to bring up a small claims case against someone who doesn't live in the area. I lived upstate new york, in a small town and a "friend" needed money to pay for a lawyer. I paid the lawyer $3,500, kept the receipt and got a letter from the person stating that they would "pay me the money back". I saved the letter and receipt, and now they are denying me that they owe me anything. Where do I file the small claims because neither of us live in that area?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
File where the defendent lives.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">