• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family Expense Act question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whitesox

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL - last month I was in court from being summoned by a dental office for payment on my daughter's bill. Her mother forged my name on the documents authorizing the work, and responsibility for payment. I went to court and showed the document, and now have to re-appear in court next month. I'm being told that I will probably have to pay this bill due to the Family Expense Act. I had no knowledge of this bill, nor did I authorize any services. I've learned that the services performed were merely preventitive dental care. Am I going to be stuck paying this? The mother filed BK, which is why they came after me.

sandyclaus

Family Expense Act

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL - last month I was in court from being summoned by a dental office for payment on my daughter's bill. Her mother forged my name on the documents authorizing the work, and responsibility for payment. I went to court and showed the document, and now have to re-appear in court next month. I'm being told that I will probably have to pay this bill due to the Family Expense Act. I had no knowledge of this bill, nor did I authorize any services. I've learned that the services performed were merely preventitive dental care. Am I going to be stuck paying this? The mother filed BK, which is why they came after me.
The Family Expense Act in Illinois law presumes that spouses are jointly responsible for any expenses incurred for the family, whether or not you knew about or agreed to them. It applies even to divorced spouses.

Though the act is unclear as to just what is considered a "family expense", medical / dental bills for the children have always been found to be covered as family expenses under the act.

Yes, you're going to have to pay. They're your children, too.

whitesox

My question is - If my daughter's mother forges my name to get "any" medical/dental treatment ( even if unecessary), I'm still responsible to pay? Thanks to the last person who responded with the obvious "they're my children too". I always covered my daughter's medical expenses, so save the sermon. It's a question of - am I financially responsible for "non-essential" treatments where the mother has forged my authoriztion?

sandyclaus

My question is - If my daughter's mother forges my name to get "any" medical/dental treatment ( even if unecessary), I'm still responsible to pay? Thanks to the last person who responded with the obvious "they're my children too". I always covered my daughter's medical expenses, so save the sermon. It's a question of - am I financially responsible for "non-essential" treatments where the mother has forged my authoriztion?
You said that the dental care was prevantative care. That is essential to prevent more expensive dental problems down the line.

You seem dead set on refusing to pay simply because your name was forged on the financial responsibility documents. I am not minimizing the fact that your wife forged your authorization. That is a serious matter you should take up with the police. But regardless of whether she put your name or hers, the expense is a family expense covered by the act and you can still be held liable for the costs. Not because she put your name on it, but because the children's medical / dental expenses are a shared responsibility.

You'll have to pay anyway. But you can hold her responsible for forging your name by pressing criminal charges against her.

whitesox

Ok - I'll try one more time. I appreciate your response, but it still isn't answering my question. If my daughter's mother ( we were never married) forged my name or not, I would pay for any treatment that she needed - no question. My question is where does the line get drawn? If my daughter wanted a nose job done when she's sixteen (just an example), and her mother forged my name to get it done - am I financially responsible? If this question is still unclear, there is no need to respond. Thanks

Isis1

Ok - I'll try one more time. I appreciate your response, but it still isn't answering my question. If my daughter's mother ( we were never married) forged my name or not, I would pay for any treatment that she needed - no question. My question is where does the line get drawn? If my daughter wanted a nose job done when she's sixteen (just an example), and her mother forged my name to get it done - am I financially responsible? If this question is still unclear, there is no need to respond. Thanks
medically requirment, you pay half.

cosmetic frilly crap, you fight to NOT pay and don't be surprised when you win.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">