• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Variance issued without permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Goommer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
My HOA issued a variance to my neighbor, who's house was built over the build line by 1 foot; towards my house but still within his property boundaries. They issued the variance without my permission or knowledge in 2007, and I just found out about it.
I'm concerned that this variance will affect the sale of my house.
And why didn't the architechetul committee catch it when the house was built?
Can they issue a variance without consulting me first legally?
They didn't even tell me about it.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
My HOA issued a variance to my neighbor, who's house was built over the build line by 1 foot; towards my house but still within his property boundaries. They issued the variance without my permission or knowledge in 2007, and I just found out about it.
I'm concerned that this variance will affect the sale of my house.
And why didn't the architechetul committee catch it when the house was built?
Can they issue a variance without consulting me first legally?
They didn't even tell me about it.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You would need to review your HOA docs to see if they followed the proper procedure. You should take copies of those same documents to a local attorney if you still have questions.

John Se

Sounds like an after the fact

sounds like a small error in dimensioning or tolerancing during construction. Are you really concerned about 1 foot into the set back? How much building is in the setback and how big are your setbacks?

Kiawah

Somebody looking to buy your house, is not going to notice that their home is one foot over the setback, and I doubt they'll be out there with a tape measure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">