• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

caught shoplifting, civil claim, 20 days to respond

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ktm5002

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I was caught shoplifting at a retail store and recently received a letter from the legal team that represents the store from which I got caught.

First of all, I know it was dumb and as someone who just graduated from college, I should know better. Please try not to judge me, but rather help me if you can, thank you...

I already delt with the criminal end of this matter which ended up costing close to $500. I thought that was it, done with, over... Now I just received a letter requesting a payment of $375 because I "intended to deprive company xyz of merchandise without paying for it".

I honestly do not feel obligated to pay for this claim. I am not justifying that what I did was right, but I have already paid ten-fold for my actions and on top of that, the clothing was not damaged nor did I cause the company any kinda of financial loss. I feel that this is kicking someone when they are down, especially when I was 100% compliant and remorseful for my actions.

MY QUESTION: Should I go to civil court to explain my reasons for a lesser fine? Should I write the legal team a letter with a similar explanation? What kind of arguement do I even have in this case (I was caught stealing)?

I appreciate everyones help/advice...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">