• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sue my parents?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lunarwolfe

I was molested by my brother 12 years ago, can I sue my parents for neglect in reporting it? This situation has deeply affected my mental health, and my parents won't help me at all, I am 18 years old and I live in Mississippi, what can I do?

L

lawrat

My heart goes out to you. But I think you need a couple of things:

1) get away from the parents and seek some counseling for your mental well being. and
2) seek the advice of an attorney specializing in incest and abuse. Try your state bar association or http://www.attorneypages.com

As for suing your parents, I am unsure about the laws in your state regarding suing the parents and whether you have been barred time wise by what lawyers call the statute of limitations (the time you have to sue).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">