• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor filing claim against customer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melissarenee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

A few weeks ago, despite my better judgment I did some minor repairs for someone. The original contract was to replace a bathtub surround and some drywall work in the customer's bathroom. Once I started the project they requested that I replace the vanity and sink as well as the flooring. All of the extra work was completed on verbal agreement.
I purchased all remaining materials which were necessary to perform the work. While I was replacing the vanity I had advised the customer that it would be wise to replace some bad plumbing that they had. They chose not to. My contracts all state that payment is due upon completion and these people in addition to the labor also owe me for the materials that I have purchased. I received a letter from an attorney that they had apparently consulted with, stating that once he received the bill from a local plumber (that these people obviously had come in after me)...he would decide whether or not to file a claim against me.
I am curious if anyone has any experience with this sort of issue. I was never contacted by them, they never informed me if something I had done was wrong. which really could have only been a leak in the faucet or something as I never did any plumbing work at their residence. I plan on filing tomorrow at the District Magistrate because obviously they are refusing to pay me the money they owe.
Any advice or thoughts on this matter?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Any advice or thoughts on this matter?

I'm sure you have kept all your receipts for the material. Your labor installing the additional material <I>may</I> be problematic.

As for the negligence, they will need to provide the plumbing that you injured. This could include anything you touched to install the vanity and flooring. Don't take their word for it, demand to inspect the actual plumbing.

They may have to prove they were not notified the plumbing required replacement AND you are a qualified plumber. A General Handyman may or may not be qualified depending upon your locality. You probably know that better than I.

Unfortunately, this is an example of why you should always get any alterations and additions to the original contract in writing. As much as I prefer to have people work "knowing more than I do", people like this have made that very difficult. This could turn out to be one of those times they changed their mind on the flooring and wanted something different.

Unless the lawyer's letter was specific in what they are accusing you of, I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">