• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I keep my address book after a layoff?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mdoweb

I am about to be laid off. I have been told that my address book on my computer is my property and that I can use it freely in any new employment, but I wanted to verify that this is the case. I own the computer that I use for work, as well as the software (Microsoft Outlook) that houses the address book.

I work from my home in Washington state, the company for which I work directly is in California, and our parent company is in Maryland.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

L

lawrat

Your computer, your software, your addresses. But think about it, who is gonna say anything? You remember names and numbers, right?

A

Attorney_Replogle

I don't know what to say as you seem to have said it all. The only thing I would add is that since you are about to lose that job anyhow, do put down in writing (keep a copy!) memorializing what they said about the address book and its contents. Send it to the HR dept.

I really don't know which state's laws would apply to your situation without seeing your employment policies/contract. I would imagine California law would though. This last bit is just food for thought which you may not need as you are not claiming that there is any unlawful employment discrimination or a wrongful termination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">