• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

jurisdiction question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eodjeep2000

I'm a resident of Washington State, was hired by a recruiting agent from California (the company does have WA offices but not in my specialty) for a job in Mass.

Which state should I file a small claims court suit in? My employer owes me wages and travel pay but says that because of their contract with their client saying that I don't get a return travel fee, they don't have to pay me what they said...and what is implied on paper and in emails.

Thank you,

Damon

racer72

If the company is registered in Washington with the Secretary of State, sue in Washington. If not, sue in California. If the wages were earned in Washington, you can file a complaint with the state Dept. of Labor instead of filing a lawsuit.

1) Check and see who you actually worked for, the employer or the head hunter.

2) Where were you based? If in Washington then Washington would have jurisdiction. If you were based in California then you would have to file in the country where you were based.

If this was solely for a job interview in Mass then, unless there was a written agreement saying they would pay for your transportation, you will probably be out of luck.

BUT, I would contact your local Department of Labor first. Their inquiries and orders usually do more than a former employee asking for back wages.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">