• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting harrassed by coop board, what can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coophell

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I bought a coop 9 months ago and have been having issues with the board since day 1 after I closed on the apartment from submitting paperwork to get approval to alterations requests to obtaining an additional key to the front door was denied because I am entitled to 1 key being that I am the only one on my lease, to getting new nametags for my intercom/mailbox. Issues began when the board saw that my partner was involved in my apt, and his appearance didn't "fit their/board president's liking) When I challenged and asked questions I became a pest and sent demeaning emails from the boarding advising me not to bother them with my nonesense and lack of responsibility. I spoke to the property manager and told him that I felt this was all conflict of personalities and that the root of the issues stems from the board president's dislike of my partner. 3 months later I get a letter mailed to my home by the board advising that they want to respond to my "erronious diatribute" to the board president and will seek a defamation suit against me if unfounded.. I feel I am being harrassed, they have interferred with my privacy, comfort and enjoyment of my apartment. With condescending emails and looks by the board members, and these frivolous litigations.. should I go about my daily life and just avoid these people or is there something I can do to protect my rights. I read the rules and can't sell/sublet the apt until I've been a shareholder for over 2yrs..

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I bought a coop 9 months ago and have been having issues with the board since day 1 after I closed on the apartment from submitting paperwork to get approval to alterations requests to obtaining an additional key to the front door was denied because I am entitled to 1 key being that I am the only one on my lease, to getting new nametags for my intercom/mailbox. Issues began when the board saw that my partner was involved in my apt, and his appearance didn't "fit their/board president's liking) When I challenged and asked questions I became a pest and sent demeaning emails from the boarding advising me not to bother them with my nonesense and lack of responsibility. I spoke to the property manager and told him that I felt this was all conflict of personalities and that the root of the issues stems from the board president's dislike of my partner. 3 months later I get a letter mailed to my home by the board advising that they want to respond to my "erronious diatribute" to the board president and will seek a defamation suit against me if unfounded.. I feel I am being harrassed, they have interferred with my privacy, comfort and enjoyment of my apartment. With condescending emails and looks by the board members, and these frivolous litigations.. should I go about my daily life and just avoid these people or is there something I can do to protect my rights. I read the rules and can't sell/sublet the apt until I've been a shareholder for over 2yrs..

**A: I sugeest you hire legal counsel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">