• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors dead tree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ram61

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

My neighbor's dead tree fell into my driveway and caused $3600 damage to my truck. He told me he knew the tree was dead, but I never informed him of the potential hazard. My insurance company will pay for the damages, but I have a $1000 deductible. Can I sue him in small claims court to recover my expenses?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

drewguy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

My neighbor's dead tree fell into my driveway and caused $3600 damage to my truck. He told me he knew the tree was dead, but I never informed him of the potential hazard. My insurance company will pay for the damages, but I have a $1000 deductible. Can I sue him in small claims court to recover my expenses?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Have you informed your insurance company of these facts? They may wish to collect from his insurance company. The fact that he knew it was dead should be enough to establish knowledge that it was a potential hazard. What idiot doesn't recognize that? BTW, it's irrelevant that you didn't inform him--all that does is help establish knowledge (i.e., there's no way he didn't know of it because you never mentioned the tree that's 1/2 mile away from his house in a forest, or something like that). Since he admits he knew the tree was dead that should be enough.

JETX

Can I sue him in small claims court to recover my expenses?
Yes. Almost anyone can sue almost anyone else claiming almost anything.

Your chance of success will be greatly enhanced if you can get the neighbors admission of a dead or unhealthy tree in WRITING.

TigerD

Tell him you are fighting with your insurance company and need a letter stating the tree was dead in order to avoid the $1,000 deductible. Prepare the letter and just ask him to sign it.

DC

JustAPal00

Tell him you are fighting with your insurance company and need a letter stating the tree was dead in order to avoid the $1,000 deductible. Prepare the letter and just ask him to sign it.

DC
I like your thinking, great idea. It's the absolute truth, it will get the OP's $1000 back by shifting the cost to the neighbors insurance company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">