• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughter caught in a doubled up fare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ylawrence120

I'm in New York and my daughter was going through the turnstyle with her school issued metrocard from her high school which is Boys And Girls and someone jumped in the turnstyle with her. She knew the girl but did not agree to this, the police officer stopped them and the other girl started fighting with the police meanwhile my daughter just stood on the side. She did not run away or jump in. The police arrested the girl and my daughter. I understand why they arrested the girl but why my daughter. Then at the police station they gave my daughter a summons for entering without payment. Now I have read the statue and it is not clear about doubling up which is what the police officer wrote as the details of violation. I have read all the sections and I would like to know is there any way that I can fight this? I am also a law school student in my second year so I can understand the law a little better.

You Are Guilty

I'm in New York and my daughter was going through the turnstyle with her school issued metrocard from her high school which is Boys And Girls and someone jumped in the turnstyle with her. She knew the girl but did not agree to this, the police officer stopped them and the other girl started fighting with the police meanwhile my daughter just stood on the side. She did not run away or jump in. The police arrested the girl and my daughter. I understand why they arrested the girl but why my daughter. Then at the police station they gave my daughter a summons for entering without payment. Now I have read the statue and it is not clear about doubling up which is what the police officer wrote as the details of violation. I have read all the sections and I would like to know is there any way that I can fight this? I am also a law school student in my second year so I can understand the law a little better.
Do a search here fore "metrocard" for a number of prior discussions on the rule and various ways to violate it. It's probably not too hard for the police to prove your daughter was "in" on the plan - anyone who's gone through a turnstile knows how close someone else would have to be to "double up". In fact, I think I got my wife pregnant doing that once.

I'm quite sure an ACD would be offered if this was her first offense though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">