• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex girlfriend problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fatt Kid

What is the name of your state? fl

I purchased a motorcycle a couple years ago and my g/f at the time co-signed for it. Now we split up and i live in Fl and they wont let me register the bike w/out her signing the regestration papers. She refuses to do so. i would like to know if there is anyway to get around that or to take her to court to get a judge to make her sign. any help is greatly appreciated.
Drew

Fatt Kid

because shes never paid anything for it. she doesn't pay for it why should she get a say in weather or not it gets registered?

cyjeff

because shes never paid anything for it. she doesn't pay for it why should she get a say in weather or not it gets registered?
The state, for one, thinks she should.

When you put her on the title, you put your future in her hands.

Fatt Kid

I understand all of that but here is the thing, she wont sign so i can get tags, she wont sign so i can sell it and get it off both of our credit unless i pay her half the value of the bike which she has never ever paid a dime for. so right now my only option is to pay the payments until its paid off and then get a title w/ both our names on it and i have to pay her half the value to do anything with the bike weather it be sell it, ride it?

TJNJmom

you may be able to register it in her name but insure it in your name. I have a co-signer for my car but they never ask her to sign anything. I would talk to them at the dmv and explain the situation as well.

Fatt Kid

It is insured only under my name but the DMV says she must sign for the bike to be registered and tagged.

eerelations

So you're SOL. Shouldn't have cosigned with her in the first place. (I know I know, you needed her credit rating to get the bike, but hey - ever heard of working hard for a good credit rating so's you can buy your own stuff without having to get your GFs to help you out? That's what men do...)

Fatt Kid

ok, so let me ask this... if she co-signed shes responsible for half of the payments right? since she has never paid anything i could sue her for half of what ive paid over the years?

Fatt Kid

So you're SOL. Shouldn't have cosigned with her in the first place. (I know I know, you needed her credit rating to get the bike, but hey - ever heard of working hard for a good credit rating so's you can buy your own stuff without having to get your GFs to help you out? That's what men do...)
Who said i was a man???? i dont remember saying that?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
ok, so let me ask this... if she co-signed shes responsible for half of the payments right? since she has never paid anything i could sue her for half of what ive paid over the years?
She's not responsible to you for any of the payments...

Fatt Kid

No, what he is saying is that you could never convince a court that she owes you ANYTHING for a bike that only you have access to.
How am i the only one with access, i cant use it unless she signs the papers and she refuses to do so??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">